Lore of MTG - Battlemage
Released in 1997, Magic: The Gathering - BattleMage was a real-time strategy game by Acclaim Entertainment. Published for the PlayStation and PC, its gameplay was bears little resemblence to the Magic we know today. Nevertheless, it is filled with an incredible amount of lore from early Magic history.
Due to its age and rarity – as well as the storyline's many branching paths – this lore was long-since considered lost to the Vorthos community.
Given Magic’s return to Dominaria, and BattleMage's significance in cards such as Time of Ice, I thought it best to crawl through BattleMage's code to extract the lore contained within.
I do hope you enjoy these texts, which are ordered as they appear in the game. Please contact me if you notice any mistakes in the editing. Thanks!
- The BattleMage, a story about Rahel, one of Serra’s angels
- The Shadow Mage, a story about Freyalise and the Carthalions
- Carthalions of the Ice Age, a story about the Carthalion heroes
- The Book of Geyadrone Dihada, a story about Dakkon Blackblade
- The Clockwork Codex, a history of Dominarian artifice
- The Antiquities War, also known as The Brothers’ War
- The Time of Dark, a rare surviving story from The Dark, of Malek
- The Fall of Sarpadia, of Tevesh Szat’s role in the fall of Sarpadia
- The Time of Ice, on the beginning and end of the era known as the Ice Age
- The Tale of Shikar, a story about Sol’Kanar and the people of Shikar
- Geography of BattleMage, short excerpts from every locale in the game.